Friday, February 17, 2012

To sweep or not to sweep...

So I've scheduled a potential c-section date for March 10th @ 2:00.  That's one week past my 3/3/12 due date.  I was struggling with that date at first, because I had it stuck in my head that the 3rd would be a perfect date - my parents could come down and spend a week with Jim & the new baby...they'd be here when I was in the hospital...and then Allison would come down on the 10th, and she'd be here for the following week.  Perfect, 2 weeks where I would have some extra help.  (Mark is planning to take 2 weeks off as well - the first week when he's born...and then depending on how I'm doing, either the following week, or a week when no one is around to help out.)

But now that it's on the 10th, it doesn't leave that entire week for my parents to be down here with the baby...Allison is coming in on the 10th (the week of her spring break.)  They don't want to be down here for the week when Allison is here because it's her time to hang out with Jim & the new baby.  Like I said I was struggling with that at first, but then I realized that it's my body, my baby, that I need to do what is best for me.  And I can't necessarily plan around everyone's schedule.  Ugh, I hate the fact that we're so far away from family.

So I finally became okay with the 10th...And then I told Mark about it - and he goes Saturday is the worst day you could schedule it.  (His comment is mainly all in regards to his vacation timing....)  I think the perfect day for him would be a Tuesday.  He could work on Monday...take the rest of the week off...take a 2nd week off...and be left with 10 days of vacation for the rest of the year.  He doesn't like Saturday, because he would rather use that weekend to be productive taking care of stuff before going in for the C-section....

With all that said, I'm keeping it scheduled for the 10th.  And am hoping he comes on his own earlier than that...and nothing will be planned out.  I want to give myself those extra days to try to go into labor on my own...

Which enters my next dilemma.  Do I have them strip/sweep my membranes at my next appointment on Thursday?  I would be just about 39 weeks...(39 on Saturday).  I had it in my head that he's going to be a March baby - so my first answer was no, I don't want them to do that yet.  It'll only be 2/23, and what if doing that puts me into labor within a day or so?  I would be wrong with my March baby thought.  But then the more I thought of it, the more I am thinking maybe I should - because that will just give me more options of going into labor on my own and having a successful attempt at a VBAC.  I will see what my midwife says at my appointment on Thursday...And see if she has the same recommendation or if she suggest to wait until the following week just before hitting 40 weeks.

Any membrane sweeping stories to share??  Good or bad??

No comments: