We decided to take the day off on Tuesday to go down for it. I was having second thoughts on it because I had so much to do at work. But once the day was over - I'm sure glad I decided not to do that - even if that meant a couple stressful days at work.
We got up normal time and got ready to go. I felt like we were getting ready to go skiing. We had on a bunch of layers - and we both wore our ski jacket & pants since it was so cold outside. We had planned to drive past the Metro - and if there was no line we'd park there; otherwise we'd go to the job site and park there. But we lucked out - no line at all. And there were still plenty of parking spots. We got on the Metro - am very glad we were the 1st stop of the train - because each station got more and more crowded. Was very nice to be able to sit down for the ride. The Metro was PACKED. We got off the train - and by the time we made it upstairs, it was 45 minutes later. That's how many people there were. There were a bunch of people that were walking back into the station...it was too cold for them - so they decided to go back home.
We found a spot by a big jumbo TV and sat there. We were sitting down for awhile, and as time went on more and more people starting to fill in. Eventually we had to stand up to avoid getting stepped on. They were playing the concert from the night before - so that gave us something to watch while we were waiting for everything to start.
I took a couple pictures - but the pictures to not capture the amount of people that were there for it. It was crazy. And it was awesome in the fact that people were great! From hearing the news, I think they mentioned there was not a single arrest made that day. That's just awesome! To have that many people in one spot - and to have no problems at all!
Like I said we watched everything from the big TV...when Bush walked out everyone was booing for him...and started to chant 'Nah nah nah nah...hey hey hey good-bye'. And the applause's and people cheering and shouting when Obama walked out was awesome! His 2 little girls were adorable!
We had thought we were going to try to make it over to the parade route after everything was done. We stood on the corner of 14th street for awhile - which they had everything blocked off - no one could cross the street. So after awhile we decided to screw it, and try to make our way back home. We were contemplating taking the Metro - but decided after we saw the swarms of people that we'd try walking home...We made our way across the 14th St. bridge - over the Potomac - and to the airport - where we caught a cab home.
It was awesome being there!! I'm so happy we went. What a great part of history we were!
No comments:
Post a Comment