Towards the end of the week, and not showing any signs of labor happening anytime soon, I started to accept the fact that he was going to be coming on Saturday with a repeat C-section. I won't lie, I was a little disappointed in this. Throughout this pregnancy I had in my head that I was going to go into labor - and I think I kept telling myself that another c-section was bound to happen. I was preparing myself for the worse, so if it did happen I'd be okay with it.
Part of me was also hoping that I would go into labor during the week (anytime after Tuesday evening, as my parents were going to be in town. If I did go into labor before Saturday that would have given them that much more time to spend with the new baby. I am glad they came down then, it was good hanging out with them, and I think they had a blast hanging out with Jim all day long. It always seemed like Jim was having a great time with them!!!
I ended up working right up through Friday. It was a little hard being at work on Friday...Mark took that day off...his parents were in town...and I wasn't going to be starting anything new at work. I did leave early and got to spend the afternoon with everyone. And as Mark put it, working that last week bought us a new appliance!
Anyways, got home from work, the guys were outside doing jobs, and the girls were inside talking. Hung out for the afternoon, and then went to Overwood for dinner. Had a really delicious meal, and a good time with the parents! And Jim was very well behaved, so it made for a memorable last night as a family of three!!! We came home from dinner to watch Syracuse loose to Cincinnati in the Big East tournament - and that was our Friday. I went to bed one last time hoping that maybe I'd go into labor that night, but no such luck.
Saturday I didn't have to be at the hospital until noon, so we spent the morning hanging out. I couldn't eat anything, so that part stunk. But we really didn't do much - just hanging out having a good old time. Mark's parents came over around 10:00 or so...and Allison got into town (she took the MegaBus overnight...) and I picked her up from the Metro station. Before you knew it, it was 11:30 and with one last family picture of the 3 of us, we were off to the hospital. It was really weird driving to the hospital, saying in 2 hours we'll be all done with this (provided no delays there) and be holding our 2nd son in our hands!
We made our way up to the 2nd floor, signed a couple of forms, and made our way over to the triage area. We ended up on the same bed we were on when we had Jim. Apparently the hospital had it down that I was to be there at 11:00 and was scheduled for a 1:00 surgery - but that's not what my doctor had told me. It wasn't a big deal at all, but they were ready for me! They asked me a handful of questions, had me hooked up to a monitor for a bit - so I got to hear baby's heartbeat one last time - and see that I was having a contraction or two. They gave me an IV, took some blood, chatted with the anesthesilogist (the nurse was explaining a spinal too me and going through the risks of it...she said chances are extremeley low, but it can happen...and she said with Dr. Lee you have nothing to worry about...apparently he's one of the best they have, so that made me feel good), and Dr. Tabibi. Once my blood results came back, we were ready to go!
It was weird, I walked myself into the operating room. Mark had to wait in the waiting room while the prepped everything and gave me the spinal. That wasn't bad at all. It was a little pinch, and then a weird feeling as it was going into my spine. But nothing too painful. It started to take affect and my legs starting going numb and feeling very heavy. They finished getting me all prepped up, and then Mark was able to come into the operating room. Everyone arrived, and it was time to go! It's such a weird feeling. I was numb, so I didn't feel them cutting me open or anything...But I was able to feel them pushing and pressing. It started off with a really nasty smell - had to have been them cutting me open. And then lots of pushing around. It felt like it was taking forever. Thank goodness Mark was right there by my side. I feel like there were many times I was going to squeeze his hand off. They told me there would be lots of pressure, another 45 seconds -- then next thing I knew they were pulling Ben out!
With it being my second time around having a C-section I was a little more aware of everything - and was waiting for the first time I could lay my eyes on the baby. What a great sight that was! They held him up for me, and then put him on the warming table to check him out. I think they said both times his apgar score was a 9, and that everything looked good. The entire time the doctor was putting me back together I had my eyes on Ben. They said he sounded and looked good. I couldn't believe he weighed in at 9lbs! (8lbs 15 ozs. to be exact.) The nurse beforehand was asking me how big I thought he was going to be, and I was thinking around the same size as Jim - I didn't feel like I was much bigger this time around, and they were both 41 weeks when born.
Ben was swaddled all up, and they gave him to Mark to hold. Brought be back 2 years ago when he was holding Jim for the first time! Once everything was all done, the moved me to another bed, I got to hold Ben, and we were wheeled off to recovery. We wheeled right by the waiting room where all the proud grandparents were! Mark stopped off there to let everyone know that Benjamin Edward was here!
Once in recovery they asked if I wanted the grandparents to come back first or try to breastfeed first - and I went with the breastfeeding. While I was very excited to show Ben off to everyone, I wanted to make sure we had no issues with Ben latching on - and he was a champ! No issues with that. We did that for a bit, and then brought the grandparents back! They were snapping pictures so they could share with everyone! I remember laying there and my eyes and nose were so itchy. The nurses said it was a side affect of one of the drugs they gave me, and they ended up giving me something to make the itching go away - thank goodness!
No comments:
Post a Comment