Just a couple of random thoughts from our hospital stay. Things that I want to remember...
- After Ben was born and I was holding him in recovery and in our room, it was so weird to feel the same exact kicks and movements that I had been feeling for the past 9 months. (Okay, I didn't feel it for 9 months, but you know what I mean.) It was just really different to be feeling that kicking on the outside of me.
- I was surprised that none of the lactation consultants came by to see me. I feel like they stopped by everyday with Jim. Maybe because I wasn't a first time mom - the assumed I knew what I was doing?!
- I also felt like the nurses didn't bother me as much this time around. Again, I'm wondering if it was the fact that I wasn't a first time mom? I felt like they came in the room a lot more with Jim. Not complaining!
- When I was in the hospital with Jim, I remember all the nurses being great. I wanted to be best friends with them...and ended up being sad when we had to leave the hospital. This time around, now all the nurses were really nice - but I didn't have the personal feeling about them. Maybe since I was ready to get the heck out of there...
- I loved everything about being pregnant. I had such an easy pregnancy (which I am very thankful for!) and thought I was going to miss being pregnant. But ever since Ben has arrived, I haven't given one thought to it. I am very happy in the place we are in our lives - my perfect little family, a wonderful husband, and two perfect little boys. I'm loving life, and am okay with not being pregnant again.
- Recovery from a second c-section has been so much easier! I don't know if it's because I've been through it once and know what to expect. But I'm feeling really good! I think getting up out of bed right away in the hospital helped. I'm moving around pretty good!
- I really miss being able to pick up Jim. Hopefully not much longer...When I first got home from the hospital, it was really hard to interact with him at all. But now that I'm a week into it, I'm getting better. I sat in the playroom and watched Allison & Jim play yesterday....I've gotten him changed and stuff, so I'm making progress. Having Allison, Mark, Rob & Jenna around was great, I don't think Jim really missed me not doing stuff for him.
And just some other random thoughts from this past week:
- The baby blues have hit me. It sucks. It happens more so when I'm alone - i.e. in the shower, or laying awake after feeding Ben. I guess that's when I do most of my thinking. The other night I couldn't stop crying, so I went up to get Mark to come down and keep me company. As soon as he came down, the crying stopped and I fell asleep.
- Have I mentioned how wonderful my husband has been this past week?! He's been great. He's made it so my only job is to worry about taking care of Ben. He's been great with Jim, taking him upstairs to get him ready for bed...reading him a bed time story...taking care of laundry (he's been doing that though...)...you name it, he's done it! I love him.
- Having Allison here for the week was wonderful as well! I liked that she was able to visit us in the hospital - seeing Ben only a couple of hours old! And she's been waiting on me too. Taking care of dinner, cleaning up...keeping an eye on Jim...It's been great! She left bright and early Monday AM - and I miss her already!!!
- Baby blues hit me when people ask me how I am doing. I don't like that question.
- I also don't like when people ask how my labor was. I had no labor, thanks for asking. It's one question I don't think I'll be asking other people. Just knowing that I hate that question, and I also don't want to hear stories about what I missed out on.
- Some days it kills me that I had another C-section. I hate thinking how my body failed me, and I never got to experience childbirth. But other days I'm okay with it. My body just wasn't meant to do that. I went through these same phases after I had Jim.
- Breastfeeding has been going really well! Ben is a pro! Him latching on is pretty painful though, but once he gets going, no issues. I don't remember having any of that pain with Jim. It's different the 2nd time around though. I was used to nursing Jim, we had our own routine, and he knew what he was doing. You go from that, and think that Ben will pick up right where Jim left off - but that's not the case at all. (Not that I was really expecting that...)
- When people tell you that you will go earlier in your 2nd pregnancy - don't listen to them! No earlier for me. Both my boys made it to 41 weeks.
- And when people tell you that your 2nd will be completely opposite from your first - don't listen to them. Jim & Ben have both been such easy newborns. (Hopefully I'm not speaking too soon). But Ben barely cries! He HATES having his diaper changed...He'll cry when his clothes get wet...But when he does cry, it's pretty easy to get him to stop. He also is a champ at sleeping. Last night we went down around 10:00 - and he slept until 3:00! No complaints from this happy mommy :)
No comments:
Post a Comment